- The plant will produce 226,231 MWh of 100% renewable and sustainable energy per year, which will supply the demand of approximately 65,000 homes and prevent the emission of 44,862 tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere
- Nearly 200 jobs will be created, where local employment and subcontracting will be prioritised.
- The project’s interior evacuation line will be underground, eliminating the visual impact and always prioritising its route along public roads.
Alicante, August 22nd 2022
The Spanish Ministry for the Ecological Transition and the Demographic Challenge has granted the favourable Environmental Impact Assessment for the development of X-ELIO’s 88 MWn (120 MWp) solar photovoltaic plant «CSF La Atalaya» in the municipality of Villena (Alicante).
X-ELIO, a world leading company specialised in the development of renewable and sustainable energy projects, has always been characterised by its respect for the community, biodiversity and the environment in the municipalities in which it operates and has a strong commitment to the reduction of greenhouse gases and the fight against climate change.
On this occasion, the investment in Villena will be close to 100 million euros and around 200 jobs will be created during the construction of the plant, where local hiring will be a priority and local SMEs will be involved.
«CSF La Atalaya» will produce 226,231 MWh of 100% renewable and sustainable energy during its first year of operation, which will be enough to supply the annual demand of approximately 65,000 homes and will prevent the emission of 44,862 tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere. The plant components have been selected using the latest technology available on the market. Furthermore, in line with X-ELIO’s commitment to respect and protect the environment in the areas where it operates, most of the interior route of the project’s evacuation line will be underground, preventing and minimising the environmental impact.
We have the capacity to transform sunlight into 100% renewable and sustainable energy. The way forward is to support decarbonisation in a fair and inclusive way, hand in hand with local communities. Our duty is to leave a better environment for future generations.Arancha Martínez, Country Manager of X-ELIO in Spain.
At the same time, the company is also developing a series of initiatives to support the local community, underlining its commitment to Villena and its region, including the following:
- The development of shrub vegetation screens of autochthonous species, such as stone pine (Pinus pinea), occupying an area of 11.87 hectares around the plant, as well as the restoration of ecosystems in degraded areas around the project, thus improving the botanical richness of the area.
- Installation of 10 rabbit hutches, 10 nesting boxes for owls and 5 nesting boxes for bats in order to improve their habitats in the area. In addition, feeding and drinking troughs will be installed for the local fauna, as well as a pond for amphibians.
- Control and monitoring of animal populations in the ZEPAS «Sierra de las Salinas» and «Moratillas-Alamenta», as well as in the area around the solar photovoltaic plant «CSF La Atalaya».
- X-ELIO is aware of the importance of good environmental practices in the agricultural sector and the dissemination of knowledge of biodiversity to the public, so it will develop an Environmental Education and Awareness Plan to promote good practices in the agricultural, livestock and hunting sectors, as well as promoting activities both in schools and in nearby towns, which encourage collaboration in the protection of local birds species.
Through its Community Plan Program, the company is committed to further promoting additional initiatives to build meaningful relationships with the communities of which it is part of. These actions will be both local and regional, and are based on four pillars: health, education, environment and communities.
X-ELIO is specialized in the development, construction, financing and operation of renewable and sustainable energy projects with a global presence in Europe, the United States, Latin America, Japan and Australia. The firm has 17 years of experience with more than 2.6 GW built. The group is a world leader in the development of renewable and sustainable energy, with a strong commitment to greenhouse gas reduction and the fight against climate change.
X-ELIO’s Press contacts:
Tel. +34 696 37 32 29
Tel. +34 620 666 224
Tel. +34 609 172 816